Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
convertible top dressing (Read 3523 times)
fun4jt
YaBB Newbies

Colt

convertible top dressing
May 25th, 2009 at 11:20pm

I would like suggestions on the best product to use to condition my convertible top, and anything else I should do to take care of it properly.  It's a '96 and I've had it two years.  Thanks!

IP Logged

MyLittlePony
Administrator

Vintage Mustang Owner

Dallas
Re: convertible top dressing
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2009 at 1:45pm

http://ep.yimg.com/ip/I/autogeek_2052_59024221http://ep.yimg.com/ip/I/autogeek_2...

This is what I use, and recommend. I had to buy mine off ebay since I couldnt find a local retailer. Also note that I listed what I use for Vinyl AND Fabric tops. I am assuming yours is vinyl. Ive also used armorall, meguires plastic/rubber restorer. Pretty much any vinyl/plastic restorer/protectant will work. (since theyre cheaper and easy to acquire locally) Problem however is the top will get dirtier faster, since the oily substance they use catches dirt

Is your top 13yo? Some things Ive noticed...

1) vinyl strinks, and a 13yo top becomes more and more difficult to close. Be sure to store the car with the top up as much as possible to prevent this. Even a brand new top will have problems if stored top down for several months. My old top would have this issue if stored for a few days. (garaged)

2) The most wear and damage the top receives is where the c-pillar folds down into the rear quarter panel. Ive had my 94 for 11 years, and I watch a small dirty line (easily cleaned slowly turn into a 3 inch hole. Not sure if the frame needed adjusting or what.

3) All tops tend to fold weird near the rear window. Factory tops tend to have issued on the bottom, aftermarket on the top. When it folds weird on the bottom, it holds rain water, which can seep inside if you have a hold (I did) A fold on top still looks weird, but doesnt do this. Best thing is when putting the top down, when the front is sitting straight up, get out and fold it the way you want it before continuing. Its a bit of a hassle, but at least you prolong the life of your top, and dont look as weird with the top up.

I of course am assuming that 96 tops were made like 94s. But its possible that ford realized this pooling problem, and made tops differently.

IP Logged

dans04gt
YaBB Newbies

Colt

Re: convertible top dressing
Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2010 at 7:33am

I found great Top cleaner and preserver in the Dallas Mustang catalog, can rememer it but it waorks great. its in my shed but will look and post it. the water just repells off of the top. and cleans off mold.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print