Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MUSTANG License Plate Goes for $7000 (Read 1639 times)
MyLittlePony
Administrator

Vintage Mustang Owner

Dallas
MUSTANG License Plate Goes for $7000
Jan 14th, 2011 at 2:35am

The state of Texas started issuing 7 digit plates a couple months ago. I have 5 digit plates on both of my cars, and didnt think anything of it. Well that additional letter meant that now more personalized license plates could be registered. However, before any tax paying average Joe tries to get the plate of their dreams, 33 plates were reserved months ahead of time and auctioned off today at the Cowboy Stadium (Home of this years Super Bowl) On of these plates was of course, "MUSTANG." They held an all mustang car show inside the stadium to promote the plate. Here is the list of plates auctioned off: http://www.greattexasplateauction.com/Combinations

Sadly many of these plates weren't anything real special. The company, myplates.com has a trick. If the plate you want is taken, you can order a T Plate. A T Plate looks like this:
http://myplates.com/Images/Plates/PLPB202?plateText=COWBOY
It is offered in several colors, and the T represents TX, But honestly, if "STANG was taken" youre really registering TSTANG. 3 of the plates offered were T plates. 2 plates used 4s instead of As, and one added a 1 at the end. So honestly, out of the 33, only 27 plates were auctioned off. $7000 was probably the average price these went for, and strangely enough, many people won several plates! Almost 140,000 was bidded!

Why the big deal? Well, my personalized plate costs me $4o every year in addition to the regular registration fee. That $95 every year. Ive had the plate since 2000, so thats $400 extra so far on just the ability for cops to remember my plate better. Now then, the plates auctioned off are yours for 25 years, and are transferable.

Now the state does get $3360 from that $7000 MUSTANG plate, which is more than $40, but considering much much money myplates is making, when the state has always offered personalize plates is crazy. Granted that you cant get a special background to match your car, but its still a service they have always provided much cheaper.

MyPlates.com lost its contract with the state a couple years ago, but came back offering "cheaper" alternatives. Just a custom background will cost you $55. Thats $15 MORE than a REAL personalized plate! Background with personalization (limited to 3/2 numbers/letters ex: ABC 12 123 AB): $85; Those infamous T plates $95; Custom background & personalization (your only real option) $195 Thats $250-260 EVERY SINGLE YEAR! They will take $135 off if you get a 10 year term though. But it still doesnt come any close to the price I paid.

Our state has one of the lowest  personalize plate amounts, and I wonder why? Funny thing is, I have seen a lot more custom plates lately ever since myplates came back in 2009, and on more hum drum every day cars. And no, theyre not the $40 DMV ones either.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print